Representative Matters: Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Obtained judgment in California court awarding over $161 million to the firm’s client, a Korean export insurance provider, against various individuals and affiliated businesses in a cross-border fraud case arising from a complex trade and export finance scheme.
- Obtained judgment in California court recognizing two Korean court judgments on breach of contract claims and awarding over $71 million to the firm’s Korea-based client.
- Stopped aggressive enforcement of international arbitration awards in U.S. by obtaining recognition of Korean receivership proceedings through a Chapter 15 cross-border insolvency action filed in the Southern District of Texas. Coordinated local counsel representation in the U.K., Norway, and the Republic of Marshall Islands where related legal actions by arbitration claimants also were filed. The enforcement actions were successfully resolved by global settlements.
- Defeated a multimillion-dollar contract claim brought against the firm’s overseas manufacturing client by its United States distributor. Successfully defended judgment on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defeated a series of multimillion-dollar tort and contract claims arising from a failed investment scheme that were asserted against the firm’s banking client. Successfully defended judgment on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented the FDIC receivership for a failed regional bank in Las Vegas, Nevada in a lawsuit against certain former bank directors and officers. The matter was successfully settled.
- Defeated multiple lender liability lawsuits on behalf of FDIC receivership for Washington Mutual Bank.
Representative Matters: International Arbitration
- Lead counsel in ICC Arbitration matter filed in Paris, France by an international shipbuilding client pursuing claims against a North African energy company. The matter was successfully resolved by settlement.
- Defended international shipbuilding client in multiple London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA) arbitrations. One such case resulted in the defeat of claims seeking over $300 million in general damages by a Europe-based counterparty. Worked closely with English co-counsel on these matters.
- Represented international shipbuilder in Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) arbitration in a contractual dispute arising from buyer’s termination of contract to build vessel with purchase price of nearly $100 million. The matter was successfully resolved by settlement.
Representative Matters: Strategic Counseling and Investigations
- Represented overseas company and its US affiliates in a lengthy Department of Justice (DOJ) antitrust investigation, including coordinating responses to government subpoenas. The investigation was closed with no adverse action against the firm’s clients.
- Regularly counsels with a major international container shipping company regarding pre-litigation disputes, port and terminal facility operations, and miscellaneous operational issues.
- Regularly counsels with international shipbuilding client regarding pre-litigation international contract disputes, settlements and contract modifications, and related matters.
- Counseled banking client regarding international sanctions issues and liaised with Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) on behalf of bank.
- Conducted investigations into potential liability of certain officers, directors, and other third parties for the FDIC receiverships of two failed banks.
- Commercial Litigation
- Creditor Rights, Banking & Financial Services
- International Arbitration & Dispute Resolution
- Bankruptcy and Cross-Border Insolvency
- International Trade, Commerce, and Competition Law
- General Civil Litigation
- University of California, Los Angeles, J.D., 1998
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. with Highest Honors, 1995
- Korean (non-fluent)