Jeffrey J. Lotspeich is a partner in the Los Angeles office of LHDK&W and a member of the Intellectual Property Group. Mr. Lotspeich concentrates his practice in domestic and international patent prosecution, licensing support, AIA Inter Partes Review (IPR), and other intellectual property matters.
Mr. Lotspeich has extensive experience in all aspects of U.S. and foreign patent prosecution practice in various technologies, including wireless communication systems, consumer electronic equipment, digital television, computer software and hardware, semiconductor fabrication processes, and explosives detection systems. In addition, Mr. Lotspeich has significant experience in wireless telecommunication technology (CDMA, GSM/GPRS, WCDMA, LTE, WiFi and Bluetooth) including license negotiations with major telecommunication companies regarding technically essential patents. His practice also involves rendering non-infringement, patent validity, and freedom-to-operate opinions of counsel.
Mr. Lotspeich has been working with industry leaders as they develop next generation technologies covered under the 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project) and LTE standards. In 2009, Mr. Lotspeich was on extended assignment in South Korea in order to work more closely with a telecommunication client. This client has recently been recognized as the world leader in essential patents that meet the technical specifications of the LTE standards.
Mr. Lotspeich routinely handles prosecution matters involving reissue, inter partes and ex parte reexaminations, and appeals to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (formerly the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences). Mr. Lotspeich has considerable success on appealable matters, and has successfully presented oral argument to the Appeal Board on a critical invention involving mobile phone camera technology. These efforts convinced the panel of Judges to fully reverse the Examiner’s rejection and enter a finding in the client’s favor.
Mr. Lotspeich is admitted to the practice of law in California, and is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central and Northern Districts.
Mr. Lotspeich’s presentations in the area of intellectual property include:
- Presented to client IP managers: “Crafting Winning Arguments at the USPTO”, Seoul, South Korea, April 2014.
- Moderated LTE technology presentation for visiting USPTO Examiner panel, San Diego, California, August 2012.
- Presented to client IP managers and company inventors: “Demystifying the U.S. Patent System”, San Diego, California, August 2012.
- Presented to client IP managers: “Patent Marking Rules Under the America Invents Act”, Los Angeles, California, June 2012.
- Presented to client IP managers: “Guidelines For Responding to an Office Action”, Seoul, South Korea, June 2011.
- Guest speaker at International Company’s IP training seminar to present: “Claim Construction Applied in Markman Hearings”, Seoul, South Korea, June 2010.
- Presented to client IP managers: “Successfully Rebutting Examiner’s Improper Reliance on In re Keller and In re Merck & Co.” Seoul, South Korea, November 2009.
- Firm training seminar: “Specification Drafting in the Wake of Aristocrat Tech. v. IGT”, San Diego, California, May 2008.
- Guest speaker at Legal Secretaries, Inc., Transactional Law Workshop to present: “It is year-end: Where is my trademark?”, San Diego, California, February 2006.
- Guest speaker at California Western School of Law to present: “Overcoming Challenges Encountered by Entry-Level Patent Practitioners”, San Diego, California, November 2003.
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Prosecution
- IP Litigation
- Technology Licensing
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 2000
- California State University San Bernardino, B.S. in Computer Science, 1996