Erich S. Lee is a partner in the Los Angeles office and practices with extensive experience in cross-border transactions representing numerous international and domestic corporate clients, financial institutions and private equity funds in Europe, Asia and the U.S. with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate and acquisition financing, project financing, development financing, business development and transfers, securities, hybrid and structured finance, capital markets, and general corporate and commercial transactions. Mr. Lee has also served as general counsel to a number of companies and investment funds with assets and businesses in technology, media, and engineering, advising such companies in their expansion plans into new markets, engaging and procuring financial and strategic investment, and negotiating business transactions in countless foreign markets.
Mr. Lee also has extensive experience as a lead negotiator for complex transactions and international disputes involving multiple parties in a wide range of industry sectors, including chemicals, oil, heavy industries, shipping, retail, distribution, logistics and technology. Mr. Lee has also advised state commissioned infrastructure and energy projects requiring consortium engineering and construction.
Mr. Lee spent over ten years in Seoul, Korea practicing corporate, banking and finance areas of law with major Korean firms, representing both domestic and international clients. Recently, he has advised technology companies, online retailers and companies with high growth in e-commerce about issues involving privacy, big data management, security and regulatory issues concerning the flow of information across borders for monetary compensation and its effects on licensing arrangements and payment obligations.
Mr. Lee received his B.A. from the University of California Los Angeles with honors and earned his J.D. from Boston University School of Law. Prior to practicing law in Korea, Mr. Lee worked with the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, where he worked on developing and writing policy and regulatory compliance publications.
Mr. Lee’s experience includes:
- Mergers of a publically listed Korean bank and financial group
- KRX listed Korean company’s acquisition of electronics and semiconductor company
- KRX listed company’s acquisition and merger of a cosmetics company
- KRX listed company’s acquisition of state privatized heavy industries company
- NYSE listed company’s acquisition of Korean private companies in technology
- Lead advisor in a UK Funds’ investment in over a 100 KRX and KOSDAQ companies
- Consortium acquisition of technology companies
- Heavy industries acquisitions in manufacturing
- Consortium acquisition of steel company
- Sale of financial institution assets to international consortiums and investor group
- Petrochemicals and chemicals sale and purchase of subsidiaries and assets
- Project financing and development financing consortiums for shipbuilding, energy and commodities
- Joint ventures, sale and purchase of food and beverage companies
- NYSE listed investment bank private equity investments
- KRX telecom investment and acquisitions in technology and license providers
- KRX listed chemical company’s acquisition and merger of chemical and shipbuilding
- NASDAQ listed company’s acquisitions in technology
- Private investment from China based banks
- Financing, investment and sale to state owned and SEHK listed investment banks
- Sale and offering of online retail company to China based investment group
- China based media company’s investment and acquisition of media and advertising companies
- Acquisitions for Korean telecommunications company
- Acquisitions of pharmaceuticals company
- Sale of advertising and media company to a media group
- Arbitration with the London Court of International Arbitration
Mr. Lee is licensed to practice in the State of New York.
- Business & Corporate
- Commercial Litigation
- Franchises, Distributorships, and Dealerships
- International Arbitration & Dispute Resolution
- Project Finance
- Media, Online Sales, Advertising, Privacy and Data Management
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2000
- University of California Los Angeles, B.A., cum laude, 1997