Nate Tarvin is a partner in the firm’s Newport Beach office, focusing on commercial litigation, the defense of class actions, and products liability. Mr. Tarvin has a broad litigation background representing businesses across diverse industries including the automotive, power tool, heavy machinery, insurance, financial service, construction, shipping, and professional service industries as well as non-profit charities. Mr. Tarvin’s practice also includes a significant amount of trust and shareholder derivative litigation as well as providing business counseling, contract review, and regulatory advice to small, regional, and national businesses.
Mr. Tarvin’s litigation accomplishments include:
- Defeating class certification and obtaining preemptive denials of class certification in several consumer fraud and warranty lawsuits
- Obtaining a complete defense judgment and a nearly one million dollar fee award against an insurer seeking indemnity from a manufacturer in excess of five million dollars arising from an allegedly defective tire.
- Obtaining a complete defense verdict and a nearly $500,000 attorney’s fee and costs judgment in favor of a commercial landlord sued by a former tenant for injuries allegedly resulting from the landlord’s failure to remediate mold. The judgment was obtained following a two-month jury trial and was unanimously affirmed on appeal. Mr. Tarvin served as co-lead trial counsel and lead appellate counsel.
- Obtaining multiple early dismissals of lawsuits and subsequent attorney’s fee award pursuant to California’s anti-SLAPP statute.
- Obtaining multiple early dismissals of lawsuits against foreign corporations for lack of personal jurisdiction.
Mr. Tarvin has successfully argued before the California Court of Appeal for the Second and Fourth Appellate Districts on numerous occasions. He attended the International Association of Defense Counsel’s Trial Academy at Stanford Law School in 2015.
- Commercial Litigation
- Shareholder Derivative Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Trust and Fiduciary Litigation
- Writs and Appeals
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy at Stanford Law School, 2015
- Chapman University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2007
- Chapman University, Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies, 2004
- French (basic)