Douglas Smith’s practice focuses on complex litigation and trial work, including the defense of class actions, unfair competition claims, employment, and defense of multiple plaintiff litigation, in both state and federal court.
Mr. Smith’s litigation experience includes:
- Secured order from U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California denying class certification of CLRA claims against national distributor of automobiles.
- Secured order from the Los Angeles Superior Court denying class certification of product defect and false advertising claims on behalf of national power tool distributor
- Secured order from the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California denying class certification of an action filed against a global auctioneer under California’s Unfair Competition Law
- Secured order from the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts denying class certification of a nationwide action for fraud and breach of contract filed against an internet marketing company
- Obtained order of dismissal from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in an action against consumer finance firm alleging violation of California consumer protection statutes
- Secured order from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California denying class certification of an action filed against a national convenience food franchisor under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Business & Professions Code 17200
- Defended publicly traded company in class action alleging unfair competition and RICO violations
- Defended nationwide consumer finance firm in class action alleging unfair competition and unfair business practices
- Defended officers and directors of technology start up in shareholder derivative action
- Represented successor shareholders in breakup of $100 million privately held business following death of co-founder
- Represented national charities and nonprofits in trust and real estate litigation, and in probate related claims
- Represented statewide food and beverage distributor in commercial dispute involving product transshipping allegations
Mr. Smith has also litigated matters before the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Central and Southern Districts, and argued before the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
He has argued before the California Supreme Court on matters of constitutional law (Mut. Life Ins. Co. of New York v. City of Los Angeles (1990) 50 Cal.3d 402).
- U.S. District Courts for California (Central, Southern, and Northern Districts)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- Ninth Circuit U.S. Courts of Appeals
- Tenth Circuit U.S. Courts of Appeals
- United States Tax Court
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Orange County Bar Association (Business Litigation and Trust and Probate sections)
- Top Rated Lawyer-AV ®, Preeminent ™
- Martindale-Hubbell; Best Lawyers in America ® (2016-2020)
- Commercial Litigation
- Class Action
- Trust & Fiduciary Litigation
- D&O and Shareholder Litigation
- Loyola Law School, J.D., honors, Loyola Los Angeles Law Review, St. Thomas More Law Society, 1981
- University of Southern California, B.A., 1978