Areas of Practice
- International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
- Banking and Financial Services Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- General Civil Litigation
- Cross-Border Insolvency and Creditor Rights
University of California, Los Angeles, J.D., 1998; University of California, Berkeley, B.A. with Highest Honors, 1995
- Korean (non-fluent)
Los Angeles Office
Orange County Office
Eric D. Olson is dual-qualified as a United States (California) attorney and Solicitor of England and Wales and has a complex international litigation, arbitration, and counseling practice. Mr. Olson regularly provides strategic counseling and representation to domestic and international clients in a wide array of commercial disputes before state and federal courts and in international litigation and arbitration matters. In addition to being a key leader in the firm’s vibrant International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution practice, Mr. Olson also supervises the firm’s Banking and Financial Services Litigation practice group and serves as the firm’s lead attorney in matters in which the firm represents the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
Mr. Olson’s practice focuses on commercial dispute resolution, particularly in the areas of international business transactions, shipbuilding, trade finance and export insurance, domestic and international banking and lending, cross-border insolvency recognition, creditor rights enforcement (including in bankruptcy), director and officer (D&O) liability disputes, real estate, and disputes concerning commercial contracts and business relationships in a variety of industries.
Mr. Olson also assists the firm’s international clients with the management of their cross-border legal matters, regularly interfacing with local counsel in multiple countries around the world (including Korea, Singapore, England, Norway, the Netherlands, Cyprus, Republic of Marshall Islands, and elsewhere). Mr. Olson has been and continues to be involved with matters in a variety of international arbitration forums, including the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
Mr. Olson is an experienced courtroom advocate, and he has successfully conducted trials, arbitrations, and both state and federal appeals, as well as numerous pre-trial law and motion matters in state and federal courts.
Mr. Olson is admitted to practice in the State of California, and he recently was admitted to the Roll of Solicitors of England and Wales. Mr. Olson is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Central, Southern, Northern, and Eastern Districts of California. He is a member of the Orange County and Los Angeles County bar associations, and the International Law and Litigation Sections of the American Bar Association.
While in law school, Mr. Olson received the American Jurisprudence Bancroft-Whitney Award in Remedies, and served as Comments Editor for the Pacific Basin Law Journal. He is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Golden Key national honor societies. Mr. Olson also served a three-year term as a member of the Board of Directors of the Orange County Chapter of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society.
Before joining LHDK&W, Mr. Olson practiced law with the international law firms Morrison & Foerster LLP and Bryan Cave LLP.
Mr. Olson’s representative experience at LHDK&W:
- Lead counsel in a Chapter 15 cross-border insolvency recognition proceeding filed in the Southern District of Texas on behalf of client undergoing insolvency proceedings in South Korea. Work with local counsel in multiple foreign jurisdictions on related cross-border insolvency issues.
- Lead counsel in ICC Arbitration matter filed in Paris, France by an international shipbuilding client. The matter was successfully resolved by settlement.
- Participated with English local counsel in multiple arbitration hearings in a series of separate contract disputes before the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA) for an international shipbuilding client.
- Continued representation of an international shipbuilding client in pending proceedings before the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA) and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC).
- Continued counseling with international shipbuilding client regarding various pre-litigation international contract disputes and related matters.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement in a substantial pre-litigation contractual dispute between a South Korean and a Norwegian company.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in United States District Court, Central District of California on behalf of an international manufacturer of water filtration products in a contractual dispute with its United States distributor. Currently representing the client before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in plaintiff’s appeal.
- Successfully argued before the California Court of Appeal obtaining an affirmance of the trial court’s post-trial order granting a new trial in favor of the firm’s client.
- Successfully argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit obtaining a unanimous ruling for the firm’s banking client affirming the dismissal, summary judgment, and cost award orders previously obtained by the firm from the District Court. This matter involved complex tort and contract claims arising out of a failed investment venture, in which the plaintiffs accused the bank of “aiding and abetting” fraud and other purported misconduct.
- Obtained full dismissal of consumer lender liability claims against a failed national bank on behalf of the FDIC receivership for that bank.
- Represented the FDIC receivership for a failed regional bank in Las Vegas, Nevada in pursuing claims against certain former directors and officers of the failed institution. The matter was successfully settled.
- Represented the FDIC receivership for a failed regional bank in an insurance coverage litigation matter in Las Vegas, Nevada, concerning coverage under the failed bank’s director and officer (D&O) liability policy. The matter was successfully settled.
- Obtained judgment of over $20 million against certain former officers of a commercial lender client based on claims of breach of fiduciary duty.
- Obtained judgments collectively totaling well over $25 million in several lawsuits against commercial loan borrowers and guarantors for a commercial lending client of the firm.
- Obtained judgments for several million dollars in several lawsuits against commercial loan borrowers and guarantors for a Los Angeles-based regional bank.
- Successfully defended two claim disallowance adversary proceedings brought in the Central District of California by the bankruptcy trustee against two Korean financial institutions with claims against the bankruptcy estate collectively totaling over $194 million. Negotiated a favorable settlement agreement for the firm’s clients that entitled them to collectively recover over 50 percent of the available assets of the estate, more than any other creditor.
- Successfully obtained an early distribution of over $15 million for a Korean financial institution in bankruptcy proceedings in the Middle District of Alabama, representing nearly a full payment on the client’s claim against the estate. The firm continues to represent the client in these proceedings with respect to the remainder of the claim.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement with the carrier of a financial institutions (fidelity) bond on behalf of the firm’s commercial lending client in a dispute over coverage of claims related to the conduct of certain former company officers.